One of the most stressful parts of moving is packing your belongings, especially fragile and breakable items. So we thought we would share some of the lesser known packing tips and tricks that we have learned over our years as a moving service in the Twin Cities. Here are a few of our favorites.
- Instead of folding your clothes to pack them, roll them. This will help you save space, especially if you are using your suitcases to move your clothes from your old home to your new home. And if you are using boxes to pack your clothes in, rolling them and saving space means you could end up using fewer boxes for these items.
- Keep an eye on the weather at your new home. If you can see that it is going to be particularly chilly or hot, be sure to keep appropriate clothing at the top of your boxes. That way, if you need a sweatshirt to stay warm, you don’t have to dig through your boxes or suitcases to find one.
- When packing your boxes, take pictures of them so you can keep track of them. You can also label them numerically. This can help you figure out if any boxes are missing or if you have accidentally misplaced one.
- If you are packing fragile and breakable items, wrap them in towels and soft tee-shirts. This could help you save some money on bubble wrap and other packing materials.
- For items that are expensive or hold sentimental value, consider buying special boxes for them. Go out and find the strongest boxes you can buy and use those for your expensive or sentimentally valued items.
- The night before you move, pack a moving bag with all of your essentials: some pajamas, your toothbrush and other toiletries and a change or two of clothing. You should also be sure to keep out other items, like packing tape, extra boxes, a black marker so you can label any last minute boxes that you just packed, and you should also keep out some food, water and other small snacks. That way, you and your family can stay hydrated and well fed during your move.
Do you need a reliable and professional moving service in the Twin Cities? Call 1st Choice Movers at 763-559-5934 or you can contact us to set up your Free Estimate.