When planning a big move, you can never get enough moving tips, am I right? At 1st Choice Movers we provide residential moving for St Paul and the surrounding areas and we know a thing or two about planning a successful move. So here are a few easy tips from the professionals to help make your move a much smoother one:
- When packing up your closet, keep clothes on their hangers for much faster packing and unpacking. When you choose 1st Choice Movers, we provide the free use of wardrobe boxes! Each 4’x3’ box comes with a metal rod so you can simply take your clothing directly out of your closet on their hangers and hang them up in the boxes. We can provide as many boxes as you need!
- Vacuum seal any out-of-season clothing or any clothing you don’t plan on wearing anytime soon. Not only will they take up less space, they will be a breeze to unpack and go directly into storage at the new home.
- Try color-coding. Pick a color code for each room in the new home and label that room’s boxes accordingly with brightly colored tape. Then, label the door of each room with the corresponding sticker/tape so everyone, including your residential moving company, will know exactly where to place the boxes. With 1st Choice Movers, we can even provide these color coding systems and labels for you!
- Try numbering your boxes. Make a list of what’s in each box by number. This can help you make sure you aren’t forgetting anything.
- Hire professional movers especially if you have a lot of fragile valuables. Also, remember to book your residential moving company weeks in advance. Moving on the last day of the month? This is an especially busy residential moving time; so be sure you book well in advance.
- Fill in nail holes in your previous home with a bar of soap.
- Change your address at least two weeks prior to your move. And, don’t forget the small stuff like magazine subscriptions!
- If you have some items that you want to get rid of, schedule for a charity organization to come pick up your items at least one week before your residential moving company arrives. Or, if you prefer to sell, start selling online at least six weeks before moving.
- Make your last and final grocery trip two weeks prior to moving in order to cut down on what you need to throw away when it comes to moving time. And, don’t forget to defrost your refrigerator at least one day before moving and wipe up any liquid.
- For same-city moves, hiring a sitter for children and pets can help alleviate some of the stress.
We hope some of these tips help you on your upcoming move. And, we hope you choose 1st Choice Movers when it comes time. If you need more information about residential moving in St Paul, give us a call at 763-559-5934 or contact us to get a Free Estimate.